The Youth Frontiers Mentoring Program is funded by the NSW Government and is being delivered by Blue Sky Community Services on behalf of YWCA Australia to schools and communities across the NSW Mid North Coast.
What is Youth Frontiers?
Youth Frontiers is a state-wide mentoring program for young people established by the NSW Government in 2015. Its objectives are to:
- Engage young people through quality mentoring with a focus on building confidence, self-esteem, and communication skills
- Enable young people to overcome barriers to community participation by developing teamwork, leadership and decision-making skills
- Recognise the positive development of young people and the contributions that they make in their local communities
- Build the capacity of mentors to provide quality mentoring to young people and to volunteer in their communities.
How it works!
Young people aged 12-16 years are matched with local volunteer adult mentors and receive 35 hours of mentoring over a period of at least six months, including at least 10 hours of one-to-one and face-to-face mentoring.
The program will give young people (mentees) an opportunity to build life skills and self-confidence by working collaboratively with their mentors and stakeholders to undertake a community project that makes a positive difference in their local community.
During Term 4, a Showcase will be held so young people can celebrate their achievements and present their community projects to the wider community.
Recruiting for Mentors in 2019
We are currently recruiting for volunteer mentors in the Kempsey, Nambucca and Bellingen areas.
Mentors go through a screening process before being accepted into the program which includes:
- Ability to obtain a cleared Working With Children Check and Federal Police Check
- Interviews and reference checks
- Ability to attend training
- Ability and willingness to commit to 2 hours per week during school hours for approximately 6 months (May to November).
Click here for the Youth Frontiers Mentoring Timeline
Click here for the Youth Frontiers Factsheet
Click here for the Youth Frontiers Factsheet for Mentors
Click here for the Position Description for Mentors
Once accepted, further training, resources and support are provided by the Youth Frontiers Coordinator.
Sharnie Cooper | Youth Frontiers Coordinator | Blue Sky Community Services
P: (02) 6516 1925 | M: 0427 370 448 | E: firstname.lastname@example.org